McCormick Taylor provided all engineering services for the relocation and restoration of this National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) listed bridge—one of only four lenticular truss bridges still existing in Pennsylvania—carrying S.R. 1029.



Originally designed and constructed by the East Berlin Iron Bridge Company in 1881, the Nicholson Township Lenticular Truss Bridge was located on S.R. 1029 over Tunkhannock Creek in Nicholson Township, PA. The bridge was closed in 2005 due to structural deficiencies stemming largely from vehicular impact damage and gross deterioration of the floor system.


It was decided that a new crossing for S.R. 1029 would be established by relocating the existing historic truss bridge and constructing a new bridge in its place. To maintain the no-adverse effect, the relocated historic truss was rehabilitated as part of the project. The bridge’s rehabilitation included repairing damage, repainting, and reassembling.

| 1 of 3

| 2 of 3

| 3 of 3


McCormick Taylor provided all engineering services for the development of the relocation, restoration, and new bridge construction. This included environmental and historic permitting and clearances to relocate a historically significant truss bridge to Lazy Brook Park in Tunkhannock Township. The project required coordination between PennDOT, PA SHPO, local officials, and consulting parties. A Determination of Effects Report was prepared and concluded that the relocation of the bridge would mitigate any adverse effects.


McCormick Taylor was also extensively involved during construction, providing engineering reviews and consultation on detailed demolition and erection plans, as well as ensuring shop drawings were in compliance with both the structural design and maintained historic integrity.

rehabilitated and relocated truss bridge
nicholson bridge clip

| 1 of 2

| 2 of 2


A new 172-foot-long, two-span pre-stressed concrete box beam bridge with integral abutments was designed for the replacement structure. The bridge is open to traffic and has reestablished a secure continuation of S.R. 1029 over Tunkhannock Creek.


The historic 113-foot-long truss bridge was restored to near original condition and relocated six miles downstream to the nearby Lazy Brook Park. The bridge is open to serve primarily pedestrian traffic and has a six-ton emergency vehicle rating, as well. It is hoped in the current setting this truss can continue to serve as a testament to the engineering accomplishments of the early 1880s for another 130+ years.